Thursday 14 October 2010

Norfolk, October 2010 (1): Welney WWT & Lynford Arboretum

With some great birds around, good weather in store and the missus away with work, I took the opportunity for a few days exploring Norfolk and Suffolk. Being on my own, I decided to follow wherever the road, weather and birds took me, with no planning, just to make things a little more interesting...

Main lagoon, Welney WWT reserve

Leaving west London at 2.30pm, first stop was at WWT's Welney reserve, 26 miles (42km) north of Cambridge. A Wilson's Phalarope had been around for a few days and it made a perfect pit-stop en route to the north coast. Unfortunately, a road closure meant I only scraped into the reserve at last entry, 4.30pm, with just a half-hour to see the Wilson's...and he was nowhere in sight! A Pectoral Sandpiper was on the nearest spit and a male Sparrowhawk, perched inside some scrub, gave great views through the scope, but was scant consolation. After a rather glum walk back to the car, I decided to stay in the area overnight rather than head out to the coast, in the hope he would be back the following morning.

Foraging Hawfinch, photo by potarou under Creative Commons licence

With Welney not opening until 9.30am the next day, I thought a morning visit to Lynford Arboretum would give me a chance to catch up with a secretive and uncommon bird...the Hawfinch. I'd eaten at the Crown Hotel in Mundford before and luckily they had a room going spare; the bar was lively, the beer good and dinner delicious...breakfast was even better, with everything cooked to order, and this will definitely be somewhere I'll stay again.

Under a very overcast sky, I made it out to Lynford for 8.30am, a little later than intended. I've stopped off at the arboretum three or four times on the way to the coast and, whilst yet to bump into any Hawfinches, the trees and peaceful atmosphere of this former part of the Lynford Hall estate never fail to inspire, even on a grey day.


This day was no different...including the complete lack of any sight or sound of a Hawfinch! But the time of year wasn't perfect - Lynford remains one of the best sites in eastern England for this engaging species between late November and April, even if not in the same numbers as a few years ago. For the best viewing, walk south from the main car park (TL 822943) through the arboretum, cross the bridge over the lake and, keeping your ears open for the distinctive 'pix' call, carefully check the Hornbeams and Hawthorns in the large paddock on your right. You can do a circular walk around the paddock and back to the arboretum. In addition, it's a good site for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Firecrest.

Still, a party of Long-tailed Tits and some rattling Mistle Thrushes kept me entertained until a light rain sent me back to the car and onward to Welney.

Arches, Lynford Arboretum

Back at Welney, the first winter Wilson's Phalarope was playing nicely and showing well and I watched with a few other birders in the comfort of the main hide (see left). The bird was feeding frantically on the main lagoon, with great views through the scope, head going up and down like a knitting machine!


Welney has become one of my favourite sites over the last couple of years (see post on a previous visit) - it's a peacful spot with great views, a modern visitor centre and café, it doesn't have the captive bird collections of other WWT sites and the winter assemblage of birds is impressive to birders and non-birders alike. Despite somewhat wanting to get away to the coast, it was a pleasure to sit and watch the waders and wildfowl go about their morning business. And I was glad I did - after about an hour, a couple of Common Cranes dropped in and gave decent if distant views. This is an occasional occurrence at Welney and a welcome one for me - although I've watched cranes extensively in France, these were my first UK birds.
Wilson's Phalarope: first winter plumage (left) by Amy McAndrews and
summer pluamge (right) by Dominic Sherony, both under Creative Commons

With the Cranes regally surveying the reserve, the Phalarope still pecking away and a Little Stint showing well, I reluctantly tore myself away and headed for the north coast.